Sunday, January 15, 2006

June 2003: The Beginning


Above: Test results posted at Hombu Dojo showing my current rank of 4th kyu

Since I'm just now starting this weblog, I would like to briefly write about the very first time that I practiced aikido. I remember arriving at the dojo with no uniform or anything; I had planned on buying my uniform and belt at the front desk. After figuring my size, I bought the full uniform and paid 5,250 yen for a Sunday membership. (The Sunday membership means one can attend classes only on Sundays, which is about four classes a month. One can always pay a small fee to practice at other times during the week, however. At the beginning of each month, membership dues are paid.)

Hombu Dojo has technically five floors. The front desk is located on the first; the beginner's dojo and women's locker room are on the second; the main dojo and men's locker room are on the third; a small dojo (where the Sunday beginner's classes are held) is on the fourth; and the fifth floor is just a small area where people can store their uniforms.

In each class, the instructor demonstrates a move on his partner ("uke") while the students observe. Afterwards, students practice the move with partners. I remember watching the instructor, but my mind was elsewhere. I was thinking, "Wow! I'm actually in an aikido class in Japan!" When it was time for everyone to practice what they had seen, I just stood there looking at my partner while he was waiting for me to execute the move. I had to tell him in Japanese, "I'm sorry. This is my first day." He understood and helped me.

I also remember on my second day of practice, my partner, a middle-aged man, suddenly hurt his back and fell directly on top of me, unable to move. He had to be carried out of the dojo, and we never saw him again. After class, as I was leaving the building, Irie Sensei saw me and said in English, "Next week, please come back." He was afraid I would get scared and quit after what I experienced that day! It was sort of funny. I bet he was glad that I returned the following week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home