Sunday, March 05, 2006

Like a Rag Doll

It really felt good to return to the dojo this morning. It has been over a week since the last time I trained. I am learning that having a newborn requires lots of time and energy! However, I will make the effort to train as much as I can. I don't feel right about continuing my frequent training without some kind of compromise with my wife: tag-team babysitting comes to mind... Where there's a will, there's a way.

Irie Sensei is currently visiting several Aikikai-affiliated dojos in Europe, so our substitute this morning was Ito Sensei. He is a shidoin (apprentice) here at hombu. In time, Ito Sensei will become a shihan (master). It seems that he doesn't have his own class to teach; I have seen him only as a substitute for Irie Sensei on Sundays.

Nevertheless, Ito Sensei's style and technique are incredible! He is known to instill a bit of dread in students of the Sunday morning beginner's class. In a class last year when Ito Sensei walked into the dojo to substitute, a student somewhere behind me actually emitted a groan. Some instructors physically "go easy" on us when they help us with a move because we are "beginners." I'm not saying that's bad; it's just that different instructors have different styles. Well, Ito Sensei doesn't hesitate to put a little realistic force into his moves when he helps us during class. I usually feel like a rag doll when I am his uke (receiving his moves)!

We started with katate-dori tenkan (body turn when held by one wrist). Since Ito Sensei didn't know the students so well, he wasn't fully aware of everyone's rank and experience in the class. Before we practice a move in every class, sensei chooses one person and demonstrates it in front of everyone. The first person he chose today didn't have any experience and didn't know what to do. Sensei spent several minutes just telling him how to stand, how to grab, etc. It was a bit awkward. After that, things went more smoothly, though.

When we practice moves such as irimi-nage (enter and throw), sometimes half the class practices while the other half observes. Sensei was making his rounds, demonstrating irimi-nage with each person. I noticed that many people were intimidated, anticipating sensei's hand on the bottom of their jaws right before being slammed down backwards on the mat. It could be because of this, but sensei went a little slower on everyone today. When it was my turn, I still felt like a rag doll being yanked around, but taking hard ukemi is a great way to learn the technique and practical application of the moves.

Right now I feel a bit more sore and tired than usual. It's always difficult to get back into the training regimen after being absent for more than a week. That's one reason why I don't like missing classes, but sometimes it can't be helped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home