Sunday, July 23, 2006

On the 2nd Floor

This morning someone in the locker room told me that our class would be in the 2nd floor dojo. I was glad because it's about twice as big as the dojo we normally use on the 4th floor. It also meant our lesson would be much more intense due to the extra room; the more space we have, the faster and harder our practice is.

It was good to practice katate-dori nikyo (pin #2 with uke grabbing tori's wrist). This is a combination that I have never done. I helped my partner with the move because she wasn't very familiar with nikyo in general. I helped several of my partners today; I guess that's a sign that I'm progressing.

It's always awesome to watch Irie-sensei demonstrate moves in front of the class. He is so hard on his uke! It's a relief that he isn't that hard on us white belts. But in time...

My partner for shomen-uchi shiho-nage today was a bit hard on my wrists when he downed me. He was very polite and asked me if it was too hard. I told him it was a little bit hard. After several injuries due to my macho silence when tori is too hard, I now let my partners know when they are going past the breaking point -- and I always seem to feel when they are reaching that point! (My joints are bent just a little too unnaturally.) I don't feel that I'm being too soft; I just think it's important to communicate with one's partner to avoid any unnecessary injuries.

After class, I asked three people (two of them were black belts) if they would accompany me to the regular class next week, and all of them turned me down. One black belt said the beginner's class is tiring enough! I was surprised.

I did, however, learn about a midsummer drinking party for members of Hombu dojo next Sunday. I haven't gone to them because the price is a bit high -- around 4,000 yen ($40). There are two "official" drinking parties every year at Hombu: one is at the end of the year, and the other is during the summer. At the end of class (after we formally bow) when everyone is still in seiza, a senior student sits in front and announces the party to everyone. It's usually held at a nearby izakaya (Japanese-style restaurant and bar). I just might attend if I can scrape together the extra money. I was told that there would be quite a few native English speakers at the party. I guess that was an incentive for me to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home