Sunday, January 15, 2006

New Year

This morning was my first practice of the new year. I have been sick since Christmas, so this is the first time that I've been to the dojo since mid-December. I hate being out of commission like that, but oh well. It's better to fully recover first and then resume training.

Every Sunday, the beginner's class is in the fourth floor dojo, which is very small and cramped. There are usually about 25 to 30 students on average. This makes for shoulder-to-shoulder practices. But it's something that everyone, including me, seems to deal with. Most of the time, we have to slow down the moves to avoid hitting others around us.

Every Sunday we are taught by Irie Sensei in the beginner's class. Today, Irie Sensei came over and helped me with shomenuchi yonkyo. I was using the wrong hand to apply pressure on the artery inside of my partner's wrist. My partner ("uke") for this move was a black belt ("yudansha"). Yudansha always seem to be impeccable with applying the technique on me; I usually dread having yudansha as my uke when we practice yonkyo (pin #4). But they are good at helping me.

A friend of mine, Toshi, was present today. I haven't seen him in a few months. He lives very close to the dojo, and he usually comes during the week to train. It was good to see him today. He told me that he passed his nikyu (2nd kyu) test last month! I was happy for him.

One of my uke this morning helped me with katatedori shihonage. When he grabbed my wrist and I started the move, I wasn't twisting his wrist and moving in close enough to him. It's always great to get little tips like that from my uke. Everyone is pretty good at helping each other out.

Irie Sensei has invited me a few times to come to his aikido class at a university in Tokyo, which happens to be one of the universities where I work. I finally summoned the courage to approach him after class to get more information. He referred me to a student in the class who is also a member of the particular university aikido class. We exchanged e-mail addresses and I told him I'll come when school resumes in April (the school year is ending now and regular university classes have finished). Since I am officially on winter/spring break until April, hopefully I can spend more time with aikido.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home