Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Way of Harmony

I was excited on my way to the dojo this morning because the class would be in the main dojo. The Sunday morning beginner's dojo is being renovated, so all the Sunday classes for the rest of the month will be held in the main dojo. Usually the class times are staggered, which cuts down on massive crowds in the locker room. However, for the rest of the month all the classes are held in a row; needless to say, the biggest challenge won't be in the training itself, but in navigating one's way through the locker room. A student from Moscow whom I met today seemed amazed at the number of men trying to change into their street clothes all at the same time. It must be fascinating for overseas visitors when they visit Hombu.

Irie Sensei was back from his European Aikikai trip. He seemed refreshed and invigorated, I thought as he was slamming his uke to the ground with unexpected moves. At Hombu, when instructors' ukes (partners) don't perform "up to par," instructors don't hesitate to give their unsuspecting uke a surprise jab, punch (not hard, mind you) or, with Irie Sensei, a judo-like throw.

Technically, it was a beginner's class, but many yudansha (black belts) either stayed after the previous class or came to our class since it was held in the main dojo. It was definitely more intense than what I was used to. My yudansha partners gave me a real workout (not to mention a good butt-kicking as well). It was all in good spirits; I rarely meet a student who seemingly intends to inflict pain or bodily harm on me during class.

I am in the habit of getting nervous and anxious when I am paired with a Western person. It is said that Western people are overly aggressive and forceful when practicing aikido. Since I have never practiced aikido outside of Hombu, the only non-Japanese students I have encountered are here. I cannot recall any "foreigner" who wasn't polite, respectful, or concerned about his/her partner's safety and well-being. One of my partners today for tenchi-nage (heaven and earth throw) was a fairly tall, strong Westerner (who later told me he was visiting from Moscow). My first reaction was to anticipate the wind being knocked out of me, but I was wrong. His technique was very fluid and nice to watch. I learned a lot from him. Above all, he was focused on his technique and wasn't interested in seeing how hard I could be thrown onto the mat. At times like this, I am reminded that aikido is not about sport; it is about being in harmony with one another and with the universe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home